The R programming language
R is an open source programming language and software environment for statistical computing and graphics that is supported by the R Foundation for Statistical Computing. The R language is widely used among statisticians and data miners for developing statistical software and data analysis. Polls, surveys of data miners, and studies of scholarly literature databases show that R’s popularity has increased substantially in recent years.
The Bioconductor project
Bioconductor is a free, open source and open development software project for the analysis and comprehension of OMIC data generated by wet lab experiments in molecular biology.
- Provide widespread access to a broad range of powerful statistical and graphical methods for the analysis of biological data.
- Facilitate the inclusion and the quality check of biological metadata, e.g. literature data from Pubmed, annotation data from NCBI, Gene Ontology or Ensembl.
- Provide a common software platform that enables the rapid development and deployment of plug-able, scalable, and interoperable software like Biobase and Limma.
- Further scientific understanding by producing high-quality documentation and reproducible research.
- Train researchers on computational and statistical methods for the analysis of biological data (see here for fully described workflows).